Look over 39 flavorful dishes in this sound supper design intended to enable you to shed pounds and lift your heart wellbeing. The most recent word on eating to secure your ticker isn't tied in with clearing your ice chest of all fat—it's tied in with concentrating on the correct sort. "Picking nourishments with omega-3 unsaturated fats and mono-and polyunsaturated fats (like salmon, avocado and nutty spread) can enable lower to circulatory strain and cholesterol—much more than restricting the cholesterol you eat," says Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD, a teacher of sustenance at Penn State University. Which is the reason this eating design is pressed with these bravo sustenances.
How the Plan Works
Breakfast: 300 calories
- Breakfast burrito: 3 scrambled egg whites + ½ cup diced tomato* + ¼ diced yellow bell pepper + 1 Tbsp chopped sweet onion + ¼ cup no-salt-added canned black beans + 1 Tbsp salsa, wrapped in an 8" whole-wheat tortilla..
- Peanut butter—pear toast: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 Tbsp unsalted peanut butter + ½ sliced pear*.
- Orange-apricot quinoa: ¼ cup quinoa* cooked in ¼ cup calcium-fortified orange juice + ¼ cup water; stir in 4 chopped dried apricot halves + 1 Tbsp sliced almonds.
- Egg plate: 1 egg scrambled in 1 tsp olive oil + 1 slice veggie bacon + ½ grapefruit* + 1 whole-wheat English muffin.
- Whole-grain cereal crunch: 1 cup bran flakes (such as Kellogg's or Post) + 1 Tbsp pecans + 2 Tbsp dried cranberries* + 1 cup nonfat milk (or soy milk).
- Sweet breakfast toast: ¼ cup nonfat ricotta mixed with 1 tsp honey, spread on 1 whole-wheat English muffin, topped with ½ cup sliced grapes* and 2 Tbsp chopped pecans.
- Apple-almond pancakes: 1 frozen whole-grain pancake topped with 1 Tbsp almond butter + ½ sliced apple + 1 tsp honey. Serve with 1 cup nonfat milk (or soy milk).
- Nutty berry parfait: 6-oz container nonfat plain Greek yogurt + 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries* + 2 Tbsp lowfat granola + 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- Tropical breakfast smoothie: Blend ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt with ½ cup calcium-fortified orange juice + 1 medium banana + 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks + ½ cup crushed ice.
- Egg white tostada: Cook 3 egg whites in nonfat cooking spray; place on a 6" corn tortilla that has been warmed in the oven; top with ¼ sliced avocado + ½ cup chopped tomato* + 1 sliced scallion + ½ cup no-salt-added canned pinto beans*.
- Raisin spice breakfast sundae: Whisk 1 tsp honey + dash each nutmeg and cinnamon into 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt; top with 2 Tbsp raisins* + 2 Tbsp chopped pecans.
- Strawberry ricotta waffles: Top 1 toasted whole-grain frozen waffle with ½ cup nonfat ricotta cheese + 1 cup sliced strawberries* + 1 Tbsp maple syrup.
- Spinach-feta omelet: Cook 6 egg whites in 2 tsp olive oil; stir in 1 cup chopped spinach + 1 tsp crumbled feta cheese. Serve with 1 medium orange*.
- Overnight oatmeal Combine ½ cup plain instant oatmeal* + 1¼ cups nonfat milk (or soy milk) + 1 Tbsp flaxseeds + 1 Tbsp chopped tart dried cherries + 1 pinch cinnamon; cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold or warmed in the microwave.
15. Open-faced roasted vegetable sandwich: Top 2 pieces whole-wheat bread with 1 cup sliced zucchini or eggplant, brushed with 1 tsp olive oil and roasted in a 450°F oven for 15 minutes; top with 1 slice reduced-fat provolone + 3 fresh basil leaves. Serve with 1 apple*.
16. Curried chickpea pita: Stuff a 6" whole-wheat pita pocket with ½ cup no-salt-added canned chickpeas* + 1 Tbsp raisins + ¼ cup grated carrots + 2 tsp lime juice + 1 tsp olive oil + ¼ tsp curry powder; top with ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt.
17. Chicken-avocado quesadilla: Two 6" corn tortillas + ⅓ cup shredded precooked chicken breast + ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar + ¼ sliced avocado, cooked in nonfat cooking spray. Serve with 15 grapes*.
18. Mexican couscous: ¼ cup whole-wheat couscous* cooked in ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth + 1 pinch cumin + 1 Tbsp lime juice + 1 tsp olive oil; toss with ½ cup thawed frozen corn* + ½ cup no-salt-added canned black beans* + ½ cup chopped tomato*.
19. Chicken Parm: 3 oz precooked chicken breast + 3 slices tomato + 1 slice reduced-fat mozzarella + 1 tsp balsamic vinegar on a roll. Serve with ½ pear*.
20. Tuna salad: 3 oz canned water-packed tuna* + 1 chopped apple* + 2 Tbsp diced celery + 2 Tbsp dried cranberries* + 2 cups spinach*; toss with 2 tsp honey mustard whisked with 1 tsp olive oil.
21 . Salmon sandwich: Drizzle 3 oz canned salmon with 2 tsp pesto; place on 1 whole-wheat deli flat + 2 slices tomato + ¼ cup arugula. Serve with ¼ cup no-salt-added canned garbanzo beans* + 1 cup cherry tomatoes.
22.Quinoa salad: ¼ cup quinoa* cooked in ½ cup water; toss with ½ cup chopped cucumber* + ½ cup diced tomato* + ½ cup no-salt-added canned cannellini beans + 1 Tbsp lemon juice + 1 Tbsp olive oil + 2 Tbsp fresh parsley.
23. Strawberry-banana wrap: 8" whole-wheat tortilla spread with 2 Tbsp peanut butter + 1 Tbsp strawberry all-fruit spread (like Smucker's); top with ½ sliced banana* and fold into a wrap.
24. Healthy chef's salad: 2 cups romaine lettuce* + 2 oz sliced turkey breast + 1 hard-boiled egg white + 5 grape tomatoes + ⅓ diced avocado + 2 slices red onion; toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil + 2 tsp red wine vinegar. Serve with 2 tangerines.
25. Brown rice-edamame salad: ¼ cup cooked brown rice* + ½ cup edamame* + ½ cup grated carrots* + 1 sliced scallion + 1 tsp peanut oil + 2 tsp rice wine vinegar + 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce + 1 Tbsp crushed peanuts.
26. Turkey burger and Asian cucumber salad: 4 oz turkey burger* + 2 tsp light olive oil mayonnaise whisked with a dash of hot sauce + 2 slices tomato + ¼ cup baby spinach on a whole-wheat hamburger bun. Serve with salad (1 sliced cucumber + 1 tsp canola oil + 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar) and 1 apple*.
27. Barley-stuffed pepper: Cook ¼ cup barley* in ¾ cup water; toss with 1 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese + 2 Tbsp chopped sweet onion sautéed in 1 tsp olive oil + ⅓ cup cooked corn; stuff into 1 hollowed-out red bell pepper. Serve with 1 banana*.
Snacks, Sweets and Treats: 150 Calories
- ½ cup no-salt-added canned chickpeas* sprayed with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkled with ¼ tsp curry powder and baked in a 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- ¾ cup edamame.
- ¼ cup guacamole + 1 cup sliced red and yellow peppers.
- ¼ cup hummus + ½ sliced cucumber.
- 2 gingersnaps + 1 Tbsp peanut butter.
- Two 6" corn tortillas sprayed with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkled with ½ tsp cinnamon-sugar and baked in a 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- ⅓ cup nonfat ricotta cheese + 1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs + 10 small whole-wheat crackers
- 14 walnut halves
- 7 Hershey dark chocolate kisses • 6 oz red wine
Dinner: 500 Calories
29. Portobello stroganoff: 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in 2 tsp olive oil, cooked in 2 tsp tomato paste + ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth + 2 Tbsp nonfat sour cream; serve over 2 oz cooked whole-wheat egg noodles. Serve with 1 cup no-salt-added canned black bean soup.
30. Steak salad: 2 cups baby spinach* + 3 oz grilled sirloin steak* + 15 grapes* + ½ cup sliced yellow peppers* + 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts; toss with 2 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp red wine vinegar. Serve with 1 whole-wheat roll.
31. Chicken fajitas: 4 oz skinless chicken breast* seasoned with ¼ tsp cumin + ¼ tsp chili powder, panfried in 1 tsp olive oil; serve in an 8" whole-wheat tortilla with ¼ sliced avocado + ½ cup grapefruit sections + 1 Tbsp chopped red onion. Serve with ½ cup no-salt-added canned kidney beans*.
32. Pasta pesto toss: 2 oz cooked whole-wheat penne* tossed with ½ cup no-salt-added canned cannellini beans* + 1 cup cooked green beans + 2 Tbsp pesto sauce + ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
33. Whole-wheat pasta with turkey meat sauce: Sauté 4 oz ground turkey breast* in 1 tsp olive oil with ½ clove garlic; add 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce + ½ tsp Italian seasoning and heat for 10 minutes; serve over 2 oz cooked whole-wheat spaghetti
34. Honey-mustard salmon: 4 oz salmon fillet* topped with 1 Tbsp honey mustard mixed with 1 tsp olive oil and broiled for 6 to 8 minutes; serve over ¼ cup whole-wheat couscous*, cooked and tossed with ½ cup chopped tomato* + 1 Tbsp pine nuts
35. Crispy chicken with sweet potatoes: 4 oz skinless chicken breast* dipped in 1 egg white and then in ¼ cup unseasoned bread crumbs, roasted in a 400°F oven for 25 minutes. Serve with 1 medium sweet potato + 2 cups spinach* sautéed in 2 tsp olive oil.
36 . Pork with pears: 4 oz roasted pork tenderloin* topped with 1 diced pear + 1 stalk chopped celery, sautéed in 1 tsp olive oil + 2 tsp balsamic vinegar. Serve with 1 medium baked potato + 2 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt.
37. Steak and potatoes: 3 oz grilled sirloin steak + 6 oz baked sweet potato + 2 cups spinach sautéed in 1 tsp olive oil with 1 clove chopped garlic and ½ cup no-salt-added cannellini beans
38. Mediterranean chicken salad: 4 oz precooked chicken breast* + 1 sliced medium tomato + 2 slices onion + ½ sliced cucumber* + 3 Kalamata olives, drizzled with 2 tsp olive oil + 2 tsp red wine vinegar. Serve with ¼ cup cooked brown rice*.
39. Greek quinoa with shrimp: ¼ cup quinoa* cooked in ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth + 1 tsp olive oil; toss with 8 grilled shrimp* + 1 Tbsp pine nuts + ½ cup cooked asparagus* + 1 Tbsp crumbled feta + 1 cup cooked peas
1 medium apple
1 small banana
1 cup berries
1 medium orange
1 medium peach
1 small pear
¼ cup barley
¼ cup whole-wheat couscous
½ cup oats
2 oz whole-wheat pasta
¼ cup quinoa
¼ cup brown rice
¼ cup wild rice
½ cup no-salt-added canned beans
4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 oz ground chicken or turkey breast
½ cup edamame
4 oz finned fish (such as tuna, tilapia or sole)
4 oz pork tenderloin
8 large shrimp
3 oz lean sirloin steak
4 oz tofu
3 oz water-packed tuna
1 veggie burger